Happy Monday! Until cuts (September 3rd), I will be giving weekly roster predictions.
QB (3): Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Cardale Jones
- Cardale Jones has too much talent to be put through waivers. He must stick on the roster. EJ has the number 2 QB spot for the forseeable future.
- Change: none
RB (5): LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams, (FB) Jerome Felton
- Reggie Bush has locked in to the 2nd RB job with Karlos Williams released. Mike Gillislee has locked in the 3rd RB job and makes big plays frequently as long as the concussion doesn’t present a major setback. Jonathan Williams takes over the back power sets and will be active on game days.
- Change: none, although Karlos was cut
WR (6): Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Greg Litte, Walt Powell, Dez Lewis
- Goodwin locks in the slot job before the first preseason game and if he can stay healthy, he’s in for big minutes. Greg Little and Walt Powell took the 4th and 5th WR job lead after big weeks. Walter Powell is 2nd in the NFL in receiving right now. He presents special teams ability and was with Rex in New York in 2014. Lewis still looks to fend of Salas and Boykin, the final spot should be interesting.
- Change: Greg Salas. I don’t think he can make up the missed time.
TE (3): Charles Clay, Chris Gragg, Blake Annen
- Much talk goes to Annen here. I think he earns a spot in the preseason. I still don’t think Dray/O’Leary will make the team. We will see what weeks 3 and 4 bring. A roster spot is certinally on the line here. Dray received limited snaps in week 2.
- Change: None
OL (8): Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy, Cyrus Kouandjio, Fernando Velasco
- Pretty easy 8 here, unless Chris Martin sneaks on for someone, there really isn’t anyone that is going to make the team. 2 or 3 will go to the practice squad as seen below. Groy and Kouandjio have presented ok backup depth.
- Change: None
Offense Total: 25
DL (6): Kyle Williams, Adolphus Washington, Corbin Bryant,Jerel Worthy ,Leger Douzable, Justin Zimmer
- With Dareus suspended and in rehab, Worthy/Bryant are in for big minutes. I think Douzable and Zimmer benefit greatly. Lavar Edwards has a chance to take the final spot after a good game. I think we elect to keep Zimmer to not have to subject him to waivers
- Change: Dareus (4 game suspension)
LB (9): Jerry Hughes, Preston Brown, Zach Brown, Manny Lawson, Brandon Spikes, Kroy Biermann, David Hawthorne, Lorenzo Alexander, Bryson Albright
- Linebacker was thinned out during training camp, especially due to the losses of Lawson and Lawson early on, followed by the recent loss of Reggie Ragland. This unit still looks fairly decent on paper after a couple of reinforcements. Hughes has been dominant and Preston/Spikes form a good run stopping duo. Zach Brown has top coverage skills and will be great in sub-packages. When Manny Lawson plays (hoping week 1), he will be in there as well with a jack-of-all-trades skill set. David Hawthrone, Lorenzo Alexander and Bryson Albright add good depth and special teams ability. Newly signed Kroy Biermann adds an upgrade to Enemkpali as a back-up pass rusher. There is still a lot to like about this unit, and will still be better than last year. We saw this on display Saturday, after a dominate defensive performance. Striker is edged out by the verstile and loved Bryson Albright.
- Change: Striker and Enemkpali
CB (6): Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Kevon Seymour, Corey White, Sterling Moore
- There is a set 3 at the top of the chart. Corey White was getting first team reps as well as Kevon Seymour who has shown out during his chances. Sterling Moore sneaks on the team with his potential big play ability and blitzing skills.
- Change: Moore addition
S (4): Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Robert Blanton, Duke Williams
- Duke Willams will edge out Meeks for the final spot baring injury. Blanton is the 3rd safety and spot starter, especially after Aaron Williams’ injury. I have left Dowling and Anderson off the team, but both have shown strong special teams ability and it’s likely one make the team. Sterling Moore holds the spot now, but the final DB could go easily to either of these two players.
- Change: Meeks and Colt Anderson
Defense Total: 25
ST (3): Dan Carpenter, Colton Schmidt, Garrison Sanborn
- No need to make moves here. Gay does not stick due to kickoff rules changing. Carpenter has been lights out and Gay has shown to not be able to handle additional kicking duties missing two kicks.
Special Teams Total: 3
- IR (2): Reggie Ragland, IK Enemkpali
- Suspended (1): Marcell Dareus
- PUP (2): Shaq Lawson, Marcus Easley,
- Inactive (2): Seantrel Henderson, Kolby Listenbee
Inactive Total: 8
Practice Squad Projection (10):
- RB – James Wilder Jr
- LB – Erik Stiker
- S – Jonathan Dowling
- LB – Max Valles
- DL – Lavar Edwards
- FB – Glenn Gronkowski
- WR – Kain Colter
- LB – Randell Johnson
- OT – Marquis Lucas
- OG – Cyril Richardson
Note: We will sign 2-3 guys from another team, but this would be my 10 if we kept just our own.