Happy Friday! Each of the next four Fridays until cuts (September 3rd), I will be giving a roster prediction.
QB (3): Tyrod Taylor, EJ Manuel, Cardale Jones
- Cardale Joness has too much talent to be put through waivers. He must stick on the roster.
RB (5): LeSean McCoy, Reggie Bush, Mike Gillislee, Jonathan Williams, (FB) Jerome Felton
- Reggie Bush has locked in to the 2nd RB job with Karlos on the shelf for the first four games. What’s more interesting is the fact of what will change week 5. Where does the roster spot come from? Will we carry a 6th RB? Mike Gillislee has locked in the 3rd RB job and makes big plays frequently.
WR (6): Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Greg Litte, Greg Salas, Dez Lewis
- Goodwin locks in the slot job before the first preseason game and if he can stay healthy, he’s in for big minutes. Greg Little and Greg Salas will battle for the 4th and 5th job based on performance. We will see if Dez Lewis can bounce back from his stringer today to edge out Boykin for the final spot.
TE (3): Charles Clay, Chris Gragg, Blake Annen
- Much talk goes to Annen here. I think he earns a spot in the preseason. Dray’s injury will make way for Gragg and Annen to sneak on the team.
OL (8): Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, Jordan Mills, Ryan Groy, Cyrus Kouandjio, Fernando Velasco
- Pretty easy 8 here, unless Chris Martin sneaks on for someone, there really isn’t anyone that is going to make the team. 2 or 3 will go to the practice squad as seen below.
Offense Total: 25
DL (6): Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, Adolphus Washington, Corbin Bryant, Leger Douzable, Jerel Worthy
- Pretty much a set 6 here as Rex has designated them. Baring injuries, this is a very strong group. Zimmer could always push Worthy, or push for a 7th DL. If not, he’s the first candidate on the practice squad if he clears waivers.
LB (9): Jerry Hughes, Preston Brown, Zach Brown, Manny Lawson, Brandon Spikes, IK Enemkpali, David Hawthorne, Lorenzo Alexander, Eric Striker
- Linebacker was thinned out during training camp, especially due to the losses of Lawson and Lawson early on, followed by the recent loss of Reggie Ragland. This unit still looks fairly decent on paper after a couple of reinforcements. Hughes has been dominant and Preston/Spikes form a good run stopping duo. Zach Brown has top coverage skills and will be great in sub-packages. When Manny Lawson plays (hoping week 1), he will be in there as well with a jack-of-all-trades skill set. David Hawthrone, Lorenzo Alexander and Eric Striker add good depth and special teams ability. IK Enemkpali adds a potential back-up pass rusher to the fold. There is still a lot to like about this unit, and will still be better than last year.
CB (5): Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Corey White, Kevon Seymour
- There is a set 3 at the top of the chart. Corey White was getting first team reps as well as Kevon Seymour who has shown out during his chances. If any injuries occur, Sterling Moore will battle Mario Butler for the final spot. This is another solid group of players that will have at least one player claimed by another team..
S (5): Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, Robert Blanton, Jonathan Meeks, Colt Anderson
- Colt Anderson is on every single ST unit that we have. He was brought here to play special teams and with Easley out, he’s almost guaranteed a roster spot. Meeks will edge out Duke Williams for the final spot baring injury. Blanton is the 3rd safety and spot starter, especially after Aaron Williams’ injury.
Defense Total: 25
ST (3): Dan Carpenter, Colton Schmidt, Garrison Sanborn
- No need to make moves here. Gay does not stick due to kickoff rules changing. Carpenter has been lights out (30/32)
Special Teams Total: 3
- IR (1): Reggie Ragland,
- Suspended (1): Karlos Williams,
- PUP (2): Shaq Lawson, Marcus Easley,
- Inactive (2): Seantrel Henderson, Kolby Listenbee
Inactive Total: 7
Practice Squad Projection (10):
- RB – James Wilder Jr
- LB – Bryson Albright
- CB – Jonathan Dowling
- LB – Max Valles
- DL – TJ Barnes
- FB – Glenn Gronkowski
- WR – Walt Powell
- DT – Justin Zimmer
- OT – Marquis Lucas
- OG – Cyril Richardson